Some marketers look back at the Mad Men era of advertising with envy and wonder: Whatever happened to creativity?
It was the era of graphically memorable print ads and iconic television commercials. Remember:
- The humor and simplicity of Volkswagen Beetle ads
- Farrah Fawcett and Joe Namath selling shaving cream
- Merrill Lynch being bullish on America
- People listening when E.F. Hutton talked
- The sophistication of Martini & Rossi on the rocks
- The helpful Avon lady ringing the doorbell.
In today’s world, where accountants run more than a few marketing departments, it's no wonder that many people believe creativity is dead.
The truth is that creativity is more alive and vital than ever. It's just that unlike the past, when it was hard to measure much beyond ratings or readership, today’s creative has to pay off by generating results. This isn't a limitation. It should be viewed as an opportunity.
- Some memes and social ads are as arresting and thumb-stopping as any of yesterday’s print advertising. It's possible to instantly understand how consumers react to them. This gives creative marketers the chance to develop more good ideas and improve those that people don't respond to.
- Many forget that old-time television ads were big-ticket commitments that became highly-compromised creative executions developed by committees. Online videos are less expensive to produce and are more likely to go viral if they express a singular and unique creative vision.
- The best marketing campaigns today are multimedia journeys that link together elements in social media with videos and website presentations and more. They provide opportunities to be creative in multiple media types that no one could have imagined even a few years ago.
- Who isn't inspired by the opportunity to work in virtual reality? Imagine the possibilities of creating a complete three-dimensional universe to demonstrate the value of a product or service offering.
Clearly, creativity in marketing isn't dead. It's simply gotten so creative, measurable and responsive that many can't imagine all the possibilities. Contact Carpenter Group to find out how we can help you take your firm’s marketing creative to the ultimate level. We’ve stayed relevant by helping financial and professional services firms explore the cutting edge of creativity for more than 35 years. We look forward to exploring new frontiers with you.